Place:


Pilleth  Radnorshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Pilleth like this:

PILLITH, a parish in Presteigne district, Radnor; on the river Lugg, and on the Lugg Valley railway, 3 miles S W by S of Knighton. Post-town, Knighton, Radnorshire. Acres, 1,897. Real property, £1,018. Pop., 104. Houses, 19. The property is divided among a few. Mortimer was taken here by Owen Glendower. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of St. Davids. Value, £59. Patron, the Bishop of St. Davids. The church is tolerable; and there is an endowed school, with £113 a year.

Pilleth through time

Pilleth is now part of Powys district. Click here for graphs and data of how Powys has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Pilleth itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Pilleth, in Powys and Radnorshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/8501

Date accessed: 08th December 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Pilleth ".