Place:


Ilkley  West Riding

 

In 1887, John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles described Ilkley like this:

Ilkley, town, par., and township, with ry. sta., E. div. West-Riding Yorkshire, on river Wharfe, 9 miles SE. of Skipton and 201 miles from London - par., 8405 ac., pop. 5064; township, 3822 ac., pop. 4736;.o., T.O., 2 Banks, 2 newspapers; is beautifully situated, and is known chiefly through the hydropathic establishments in the vicinity: - Ilkley Wells House, Ben Rhydding, Craiglands, Troutheck, and Rockwood House.

Ilkley through time

Ilkley is now part of Bradford district. Click here for graphs and data of how Bradford has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Ilkley itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Ilkley, in Bradford and West Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/850

Date accessed: 23rd October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Ilkley ".