Place:


Rushton  Staffordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Rushton like this:

RUSHTON, two townships and a chapelry in Leek parish, Stafford. The townships are R.-James and R.-Spencer; they adjoin each other; and the latter lies on the North Staffordshire railway, near the river Dane, 5 miles N N W of Leek, and has a station on the railway, and a post-office under Macclesfield. ...


Real property, £1, 762 and £2, 537. Pop., 273 and 358. Houses, 55and 78. The manor of R.-James belongs to Antrobus, Esq.; and that of R.-Spencer to freeholders. The chapelry includes also the township of Heaton; and, in 1861, had a pop. of 1,027. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £148.* Patron, the Vicar of Leek. The church is very old, and was formerly called"the chapel in the wilderness." There are a Wesleyan chapel and a free school.

Rushton through time

Rushton is now part of Staffordshire Moorlands district. Click here for graphs and data of how Staffordshire Moorlands has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Rushton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Rushton in Staffordshire Moorlands | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/8496

Date accessed: 12th December 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Rushton ".