Place:


Pennal  Merionethshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Pennal like this:

PENNAL, a village, a parish, and a sub-district, in the district of Machynlleth and county of Merioneth. The village stands on the Sarn-Helen way, under Arran-y-Gessel hill, near the river Dyfi, 3 miles W of Machyn-lleth r. station; is supposed to occupy the site of a Romanstation; presents a pretty appearance; is a seat of petty sessions; and has a head post-office, designated Pennal, Merionethshire. ...


The parish comprises 7, 461 acres. Real property, £3, 356. Pop., 588. Houses, 135. Talgarth is the seat ofF. Thruston, Esq. A tower is in the grounds of Talgarth; and Roman coins have been foundboth there and at Cefn-Caer. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Bangor. Value, £75. Patron, the Bishop of Llandaff. The church is ancient, and has Roman bricks in its masonry. There is a Calvinistic Methodist chapel.—The sub-district contains also twoother parishes. Acres, 44, 184. Pop., 4, 167. Houses, 921.

Pennal through time

Pennal is now part of Gwynedd district. Click here for graphs and data of how Gwynedd has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Pennal itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Pennal, in Gwynedd and Merionethshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/8459

Date accessed: 14th December 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Pennal ".