In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Penmachno like this:
PENMACHNO, a village and a parish in the district of Llanrwst and county of Carnarvon. The village stands on the river Machno, 2 miles above its influx to the Conway at the boundary with Denbigh, and 6½ S of Llanrwst r. station; has beautiful environs; forms a sort of circle round the parish church; is a good station foranglers; and has a post-office‡ under Llanrwst, and fairson 23 Aug. and 11 Sept. The parish comprises 11, 208 acres. Real property, £3, 758; of which £330 are in quarries. ...
Pop. in 1851, 1, 251; in 1861, 1, 425. Houses, 301. The property is divided among a few. Much of the land is mountainous. Slate is quarried. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Bangor. Value, £180.* Patron, Lord Ranelagh. The church was rebuilt in 1864. There are a Calvinistic Methodist chapel, an endowed school with £10 a year, alms-houses with £60, and other charities £50.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Penmachno has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Conwy. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Penmachno and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Penmachno, in Conwy and Caernarvonshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 01st April 2015
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Penmachno".