Place:


Forest Row  Sussex

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Forest Row like this:

FOREST-ROW, a hamlet and a chapelry in East Grinstead parish, Sussex. The hamlet adjoins the N side of Ashdown forest, near the Three-Bridges and Tunbridge-Wells railway, 3 miles SE of East Grinstead; and has a post office under East Grinstead, a railway station, and a fair on 8 Nov. The chapelry was constituted in 1850. Pop., 1, 411. Houses, 285. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Chichester. Value, £150. Patron, the Vicar of East Grinstead. The church is good; and there are chapels for Independents and Baptists, and a national school.

Forest Row through time

Forest Row is now part of Wealden district. Click here for graphs and data of how Wealden has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Forest Row itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Forest Row, in Wealden and Sussex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/8443

Date accessed: 22nd October 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Forest Row ".