Place:


Penegoes  Montgomeryshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Penegoes like this:

PENEGOES, a parish in Machynlleth district, Montgomery; on the river Dulas, 1½ mile E of Machynlleth r.station. It contains the townships of Isycoed and Uwchy-coed; and it has a post-office under Machynlleth, Montgomeryshire. Acres, 8,085. Real property, £5, 419; of which £2, 440 are in mines. ...


Pop. in 1851, 928; in 1861, 1, 126. Houses, 205. The increase of pop. arose fromextension of mining operations. The property is sub-divided. There are mineral springs. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Bangor. Value, £250.* Patron, the Bishop of Llandaff. The church is old and indifferent. Llywarch Hên, the bard, was a resident; and R. Wilson, the painter, was a native.

Penegoes through time

Penegoes is now part of Powys district. Click here for graphs and data of how Powys has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Penegoes itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Penegoes, in Powys and Montgomeryshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/8437

Date accessed: 16th December 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Penegoes ".