Place:


Fittleworth  Sussex

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Fittleworth like this:

FITTLEWORTH, a village and a parish in Chichester district, Sussex. The village stands near a bridge on the river Rother, 2½ miles W by N of Pulborough r. station, and 2½ SE by E of Petworth; and has a post office under Petworth. The parish comprises 2, 367 acres. Real property, £3, 291. Pop., 683. Houses, 152. - The property is divided among a few. Fittleworth wood is a meet for the Wyndham hounds. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Chichester. Value, £371.* Patron, the Bishop of Chichester. The church is very good; and there are charities £73.

Fittleworth through time

Fittleworth is now part of Chichester district. Click here for graphs and data of how Chichester has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Fittleworth itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Fittleworth, in Chichester and Sussex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/8422

Date accessed: 19th October 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Fittleworth ".