Place:


Newborough  Staffordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Newborough like this:

NEWBOROUGH, a township-chapelry, with a village, in Hanbury parish, Stafford; 3½ miles S S W of Sudbury r. station, and 5¾ S E by S of Uttoxeter. It has a post-office under Derby. Acres, 2, 762. Real property, £4, 804. Pop., 788. Houses, 158. Hollybush Halland Hoarcross Hall are chief residences. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £107.* Patron, the Vicar of Hanbury. The church has a tower, and is good. There are a partially endowed school forboys, and a free school for girls.

Newborough through time

Newborough is now part of East Staffordshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how East Staffordshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Newborough itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Newborough in East Staffordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/8420

Date accessed: 21st July 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Newborough ".