In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Friern Barnet like this:
BARNET-FRYERN, a parish in Barnet district, Middlesex; on the northern verge of the county, 1½ mile W by N of Southgate and Colney-Hatch r. station, and 3 miles SSE of Barnet. It contains the hamlet of Colney-Hatch, and part of the village of Whetstone; both of which have post offices under London N. ...
Acres, 1,292. Real property, £6,552. Pop., 3,344. Houses, 241. The property is subdivided. The living is a rectory in the diocese of London. Value, £255.* Patrons,-the Dean and Chapter of St. Paul's. The church was restored in 1853. There are national schools, seven alms-houses, and some other charities. Walker, the author of "the Pronouncing Dictionary," was a native; and Judge Popham, a resident. See Colney-Hatch.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Friern Barnet, in Barnet and Middlesex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 26th April 2017
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Friern Barnet ".