Place:


Newborough  Anglesey

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Newborough like this:

NEWBOROUGH-ST. PETER, or Llanbedr-New-borough, a decayed ancient town, and a parish, in the district of Carnarvon and county of Anglesey. The town stands near Malldraeth bay, 3½ miles S E of Bodorgan r.station, and 4 W N W of Carnarvon; had anciently a residence of the princes of North Wales; bore then the name of Rhos-Vair; was made "a new borough" by Edward I.; sent a member to parliament from th at timetill the time of Henry VIII.; was denuded of its franchise, in favour of Beaumaris, by Edward VI.; is nowmerely a village; carries on a curious manufacture of Mats, nets, and ropes from sea-reed-grass, for the Carnarvon market; has a post-office, of the name of Newborough, under Bangor; and gives the title of baronto the family of Wynn. ...


The parish comprises 4, 305acres of land, and 3, 105 of water. Real property, £2,001. Pop. in 1851, 1,032; in 1861, 918. Houses, 241. The decrease of pop. arose from the removal of agricultural labourers to mining parishes. The property is divided chiefly among three. Much of the land is desolate seaboard. Llanddwyn island lies at the extremity of Newborough warren; and has been almost overwhelmed with sand, blown from the opposite coast of Arvonia. An ancient abbey stood on that island; and had a cruciform church, 70 feet long, of later English date; but very little of it now remains. Aninscribed stone, 6 feet high, is at Frondeg. Manyrare maritime plants grow on the sandy shores. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Bangor. Value, £214. Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church is decorated English, in tolerable condition; consists of nave and choir, forming a single aisle upwards of 100 feet in length; and has a good E window, and a good early English font. There are chapels for Independents, Baptists, Calvinistic Methodists, and Wesleyans. Morgan, the last player on the crwth, was a native.

Newborough through time

Newborough is now part of the Isle of Anglesey district. Click here for graphs and data of how the Isle of Anglesey has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Newborough itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Newborough in The the Isle of Anglesey | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/8381

Date accessed: 12th December 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Newborough ".