Place:


Nevern  Pembrokeshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Nevern like this:

NEVERN, or Nefern, a village and a parish in the district of Cardigan and county of Pembroke. The village stands on the rivulet Nevern, in a picturesque reach of deep wooded vale, 2 miles E N E of Newport, and 8 S W of Cardigan r. station; and was once a borough, governed by a portreeve and burgesses. ...


The parish is divided into the quarters of Cregie, Kilgwyn, Morva, and Trewern; and its post town is Newport, under Haverfordwest. Acres, 14, 637; of which 115 are water orforeshore. Real property of Cregie, £1, 430; of Kilgwyn, £1, 346; of Morva, £3, 1 54; of Trewern, £1, 751. Pop.of the whole in 1851, 1, 642; in 1861, 1, 436. Houses, 315. The decrease of pop. was caused by the migration of agricultural labourers. The property is much subdivided. Llanhyfer Castle stood on an eminence above the village; is said to have been the chief palace of theprinces of Dyfed; was probably the residence of Martinde Tours, before he married the daughter of Rhys ap Grufydd; was a square structure, with a bastion at eachangle; towered aloft, on one side, from the rim of arocky ravine, and was defended, on the other sides, by adeep fosse excavated in the solid rock; and has left sometraces. A mansion of the time of Henry VII. was the seat of Sir James ap Owain, passed to occupants of otherfamilies, and is now a farm-house. Llwyngwair and Henllys are present chief residences. A bridge, called Pont-Baldwyn, crosses the Nevern rivulet; and is said to have been the first or one of the earliest places atwhich Archbishop Baldwin and Giraldus preached thecrusades. Pentre-evan, about 1½ mile from the village, is a remarkably large cromlech; has a top-stone measuring 18 feet by 9; is so high that six persons on horse-back can be sheltered under it; and is surrounded by arude Druidical circle. 150 feet in circumference. Anothercromlech, with a furrow in the top-stone, is at Llech-y-Dribedd. The living is a vicarage, united with the chapelry of Kilgwyn, in the diocese of St. David's. Value, £240.* Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church is Norman, in tolerable condition, with a tower; has anunpaved floor, which has been gradually raised fully 7feet above the original level by frequent interments; and contains a coffin-lid, with an early Greek cross. The churchyard is planted with yew-trees; and contains a very fine cross of the 9th century, 2 feet broad, 1½ footthick, 13 feet high, circular at the top, and carved onall sides with knot-work. Charities, £24.

Nevern through time

Nevern is now part of Pembrokeshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how Pembrokeshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Nevern itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Nevern in Pembrokeshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/8380

Date accessed: 19th December 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Nevern ".