Place:


Easebourne  Sussex

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Easebourne like this:

EASEBOURNE, a village, a parish, and a hundred in Sussex. The village and the parish are in Midhurst district; and the former stands near the river Rother, 1 mile NE of Midhurst r. station, and 5 WNW of Petworth, was once a market town, and has a post office under Midhurst. The parish comprises 4, 043 acres. ...


Real property, £3, 848. Pop., 859. Houses, 158. The property is divided among a few. A Benedictine nunnery was founded here, in the time of Henry III., by John de Bohun; and the church of it, and some other remains of it, still exist. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Chichester. Value, £130.* Patron, the Earl of Egmont. The church was the church of the nunnery; is perpendicular English, and in good condition; and contains an alabaster effigies of Sir David Owen, who died in 1542, and a marble monument of Lord Montague, who died in 1591. The workhouse for Midhurst district is in Easebourne.-The hundred is in the rape of Chichester; and contains Midhurst town and thirteen parishes. Acres, 30, 534. Pop., 7, 009. Houses, 1, 253.

Easebourne through time

Easebourne is now part of Chichester district. Click here for graphs and data of how Chichester has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Easebourne itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Easebourne, in Chichester and Sussex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/8336

Date accessed: 16th October 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Easebourne ".