Place:


Carshalton  Surrey

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Carshalton like this:

CARSHALTON-pronounced Casehorton or Cayshorton-a village, a parish, and a subdistrict in Epsom district,. Surrey. The village stands near the river Wandle and the Epsom railway, 3 miles W by S of Croydon; and has a station on the railway, and a post office under London, S. It was known at Domesday as Aulton; and was once a market-town. ...


The parish comprises 2,904 acres. Real property, £14,178. Pop., 2,538. Houses, 492. The property is subdivided. Carshalton Park was formerly the seat of Sir N. Throckmorton, Dr. Radcliffe and the Scawens; and is now occupied by James Aitken, Esq. The parish is watered by the Wandle and its head streams; and has flour, paper, oil, and snuff mills. A spring, overarched with stone, close to the churchyard, is traditionally associated with Queen Anne Boleyn, and bears her name. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Winchester. Value, £875.* Patron, Albert Cator, Esq. The church is early English, much altered, but in good condition; and contains a remarkable brass of Sheriff Gaynesford, who died in 1490, and three elaborate monuments of last century. There are gas works, a police station, a British school, a national school, an infant school, and charities £58. The subdistrict contains four parishes. Acres, 12,119. Pop., 8,341. Houses, 1,451.

Carshalton through time

Carshalton is now part of Sutton district. Click here for graphs and data of how Sutton has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Carshalton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Carshalton, in Sutton and Surrey | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/833

Date accessed: 17th December 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Carshalton ".