Place:


West Dean  Sussex

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described West Dean like this:

DEAN (West), a parish in Eastbourne district, Sussex; on the river Cuckmere, near the coast, 3½ miles ENE of Newhaven r. station, and 4¾ W of Eastbourne. Post town, Seaford, under Lewes. Acres, 2, 464; of which 175 are water. Real property, £1, 593. Pop., 153. Houses, 24. The property is divided among a few. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Chichester. Value, £102.* Patron, the Duke of Devonshire. The church has a tower, with low spire; and is good.

West Dean through time

West Dean is now part of Wealden district. Click here for graphs and data of how Wealden has changed over two centuries. For statistics about West Dean itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of West Dean, in Wealden and Sussex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/8325

Date accessed: 10th December 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " West Dean ".