Place:


East Dean  Sussex

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described East Dean like this:

DEAN (East), a parish in Eastbourne district, Sussex; on the coast, near Beachy Head, 3½ miles WSW of Eastbourne r. station. It has a post office under Eastbourne. Acres, 2, 431; of which 280 are water. Real property, £1, 731. Pop., 334. Houses, 65. The property is divided among a few. The living is a vicarage, united with the vicarage of Friston, in the diocese of Chichester. Value, £276. Patrons, the Bishop, Dean, and Chapter of Chichester. The church is good.

East Dean through time

East Dean is now part of Wealden district. Click here for graphs and data of how Wealden has changed over two centuries. For statistics about East Dean itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of East Dean, in Wealden and Sussex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/8323

Date accessed: 10th December 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " East Dean ".