Place:


Compton  Sussex

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Compton like this:

COMPTON, a parish in Westbourne district, Sussex; near the boundary with Hants, 3 miles W of Rowlands-Castle r. station, and 8 ½ NW of Chichester. It has a post office under Petersfield. Acres, 1, 661. Real property, £1, 263. Pop., 266. Houses, 53. The manor is the Cumtune of Alfred's will. The living is a vicarage, united with Up. Marden, in the diocese of Chichester. Value, £507.* Patron, the Rev. G. A. Langdale. The church is transition Norman; was restored in 1849; and has a very ancient screen. Charities, £12.

Compton through time

Compton is now part of Chichester district. Click here for graphs and data of how Chichester has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Compton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Compton, in Chichester and Sussex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/8316

Date accessed: 20th October 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Compton ".