Place:


Nantmel  Radnorshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Nantmel like this:

NANTMEL, a parish and a sub-district in Rhayader district, Radnor. The parish lies on the river Dulas, under Camllo hill, 4 miles E S E of Rhayader r. station; contains the townships of Gwastedin, Maesgwyn, Coedglasson, and Vainor; and has a post-office under Rhayader. Acres, 16, 387. Real property, £7, 637. ...


Pop., 1, 453. Houses, 240. The property is divided among a few. Llwyn-barried is the seat of E. M. Evans, Esq. Llwyn-Gwynis a lake about a mile in circumference; and was formerly a resort of pilgrims. There are two ancient camps The living is a vicarage in the diocese of St. David's Value, £250.* Patron, the Bishop of St David's. The church is pretty good. There are an Independent chapel, and charities £8.—The sub-district contains also four other parishes. Acres, 31, 528. Pop., 3, 177. Houses, 540.

Nantmel through time

Nantmel is now part of Powys district. Click here for graphs and data of how Powys has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Nantmel itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Nantmel, in Powys and Radnorshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/8303

Date accessed: 16th December 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Nantmel ".