Place:


Chailey  Sussex

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Chailey like this:

CHAILEY, a village, a parish, and a subdistrict in Lewes district, Sussex. The village stands 3 miles E of Cook's Bridge r. station, and 5½ N by W of Lewes; and has a post office under Lewes, and a fair on 29 July. The parish comprises 5,889 acres. Real property, £5,610. Pop., 1,344. ...


Houses, 245. The property is divided among a few. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Chichester. Value, £505.* Patrons, Mrs. Hepburne and Mrs. Blencowe. The church is early English, and good. There are a national school, a workhouse, and charities £9. The subdistrict contains four parishes. Acres, 18,464. Pop., 4,947. Houses, 931.

Chailey through time

Chailey is now part of Lewes district. Click here for graphs and data of how Lewes has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Chailey itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Chailey, in Lewes and Sussex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/8296

Date accessed: 15th October 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Chailey ".