Place:


Bury  Sussex

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Bury like this:

BURY, a parish and a hundred in Sussex. The parish is in Chichester district; lies on the river Arun, 1¼ mile NW of Amberley r. station, and 5 SSE of Petworth; includes the tything of West Burton; and has a post office under Petworth. Acres, 3,340. Real property, £4,046. Pop., 500. ...


Houses, 109. Bury Hill here is crowned with a large barrow. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Chichester. Value, £300*. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Gloucester. The church was recently restored. There are national schools, and charities £40.-The hundred is in the rape of Arundel; and contains eight parishes and part of another. Pop., 4,125. Houses, 803.

Bury through time

Bury is now part of Chichester district. Click here for graphs and data of how Chichester has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Bury itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Bury, in Chichester and Sussex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/8293

Date accessed: 11th December 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Bury ".