In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Burton like this:
BURTON, or Bodexton, a parish in Chichester district, Sussex; on the river Rother and the Arundel canal, near the Mid-Sussex railway, 3 miles SSW of Petworth. Post Town, Petworth. Acres, 809. Real property, £597. Pop., 45. Houses, 9. Burton Park is the seat of the Biddulphs. The living is a rectory, united with the p. curacy of Coates, in the diocese of Chichester. Value £113. Patron, George Wyndham, Esq.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Burton has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Chichester. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Burton and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Burton, in Chichester and Sussex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 24th January 2017
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Burton".