Place:


Brightling  Sussex

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Brightling like this:

BRIGHTLING, a parish in Battle district, Sussex; in the Weald, 4 miles WSW of Robertsbridge r. station, and 6½ NW of Battle. It has a post office under HurstGreen. Acres, 4,613. Real property, £3,794. Pop., 661. Houses, 132. The property is subdivided. Brightling Down is 646 feet high; commands an extensive panoramic view; and is crowned by an observatory. ...


Rosehill Park is the seat of O. Meyrick, Esq.; and Socknersh, the seat of John Hallaway, Esq. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Chichester. Value, £563.* Patron, the Rev. B. Hayley. The church is tolerable. A school has £22 from endowment; and other charities £18.

Brightling through time

Brightling is now part of Rother district. Click here for graphs and data of how Rother has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Brightling itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Brightling, in Rother and Sussex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/8288

Date accessed: 14th October 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Brightling ".