Place:


Welton  Northamptonshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Welton like this:

WELTON, a parish, with a village, in Daventry district, Northampton; 2 miles S by W of Crick r. station, and 2 NNE of Daventry. It has a post-office under Daventry. Acres, 1,690. Real property, £4,410. Pop., 592. Houses, 148. The manor, with W. Place, belongs to R. T. Clarke, Esq. W. House is the seat of Mrs. ...


Watson; and W. Grange, of R. Bliss, Esq. A tunnel, 1½ mile long, here connects the Grand Junction canal with the Oxford canal. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Peterborough. Value, £193.* Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church is later English. There are a Baptist chapel, a national school, and charities £120.

Welton through time

Welton is now part of Daventry district. Click here for graphs and data of how Daventry has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Welton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Welton, in Daventry and Northamptonshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/8286

Date accessed: 22nd June 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Welton ".