Place:


Bolney  Sussex

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Bolney like this:

BOLNEY, a village and a parish in Cuckfield district, Sussex. The village stands 3½ miles SW by W of Cuckfield, and 5 W of Haywards-Heath r. station; and has a post office under Cuckfield, and fairs on 17 May and 11 Dec. The parish comprises 3,546 acres. Real property, £4,112. Pop., 789. ...


Houses, 157. The property is much subdivided. The northern portion is covered with wood, and lies within St. Leonard's forest. Bolney common is famed for cherry-trees, and commands noble views. Bolney Place and Colwood House are chief residences. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Chichester. Value, £186.* Patron, the Bishop. The church was recently restored and enlarged.

Bolney through time

Bolney is now part of Mid Sussex district. Click here for graphs and data of how Mid Sussex has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Bolney itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Bolney in Mid Sussex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/8277

Date accessed: 20th October 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Bolney ".