Place:


Myddfai  Carmarthenshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Myddfai like this:

MOTHVEY, or MYDDFAI, a parish, which is also a sub-district, in Llandovery district, Carmarthen; on the river Sevin, 3¼ miles S of Llandovery r. station, and 3½ W of the boundary with Brecon. It contains the hamlets of Lower Mothvey and Upper Mothvey, and has fairs on 18 June and 18 Oct. ...


Post town, Llandovery, under Carmarthen. Acres, 11,914. Real property, £5,343. Pop. in 1851,1,069; in 1861,1,118. Houses, 232. The property is subdivided. Cilgwyn and Llwynywormwood are chief residences. The surface is hilly, and the rocks include lead ore. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of St. David's. Value, £103.* Patron, the Bishop of St. David's. The church is ancient but good, and contains a monument to Bishop Owen. The churchyard has a sycamore 54 feet in girth, and a yew 25 feet. There are a Calvinistic Methodist chapel, and charities £17.

Myddfai through time

Myddfai is now part of Carmarthenshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how Carmarthenshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Myddfai itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Myddfai in Carmarthenshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/8267

Date accessed: 19th October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Myddfai ".