Place:


Bersted  Sussex

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Bersted like this:

BERSTED (South), a village and a parish in Chichester district, Sussex. The village stands 1 mile N of Bognor r. station, and 1 from the coast, and has a post office under Bognor. The parish extends to the shore, and includes Bognor and the tythings of North Bersted and Shripney. Acres, 3,008; of which 152 are water. ...


Real property, £15,469. Pop., 3,128. Houses, 628. The property is much subdivided. The living is a vicar age in the diocese of Chichester. Value, £214.* Patron, the Archbishop of Canterbury. The church was built in 1405; consists of chancel, nave, and aisles; has a tower with large buttresses, and an obtuse shingled spire; and contains a tomb of Sir R. Hotham, the founder of Bognor. The p. curacy of Bognor is a separate benefice.

Bersted through time

Bersted is now part of Arun district. Click here for graphs and data of how Arun has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Bersted itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Bersted, in Arun and Sussex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/8241

Date accessed: 18th October 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Bersted ".