Place:


Mochdre  Montgomeryshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Mochdre like this:

MOUGHTREY, or MOCHTREF, a parish in Newtown district, Montgomery; near the river Severn, the CaerSws Roman way, and the boundary with Radnor, 3 miles SW of Newtown r. station. It contains the townships of Moughtreyllan and Eskirgilog; and its Post town is Newtown. Acres, 5,025. Real property, £2,963. Pop., 526. Houses, 95. The property is much subdivided. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of St. Asaph. Value, £86. Patron, the Bishop of St. Asaph. The church is ancient, and was reported in 1859 as bad.

Mochdre through time

Mochdre is now part of Powys district. Click here for graphs and data of how Powys has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Mochdre itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Mochdre, in Powys and Montgomeryshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/8232

Date accessed: 21st November 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Mochdre ".