Place:


Cheadle  Cheshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Cheadle like this:

CHEADLE, a village, a parish, and a sub-district, in Stockport district, Cheshire. The village stands near the river Mersey, 2 miles NW of the junction of the Macclesfield and Congleton railway with the Manchester and Crewe railway, and 2¼ WSW of Stockport. The parish includes also the townships of Cheadle-Bulkeley and Cheadle-Moseley, and the hamlet of Handforth-cum-Bosden; and has a station at the junction of the railways, and a post office‡ under Manchester. ...


Acres, 6, 275. Real property, £37, 209. Pop., 10, 852. Houses, 2, 301. The property is much subdivided. Cheadle Wood and Cheadle Heath are chief residences. Many of the inhabitants are employed in cotton and silk mills. The living is a rectory, with the chapelry of Handforth, in the diocese of Chester. Value, £635.* Patron, Sir H. D. Broughton, Bart. The church is later English. The vicarage of Cheadle-Hulme is a separate charge. There are also chapels for Independents, Baptists, Wesleyans, Primitive Methodists, and Roman Catholics. An Independent chapel, in the decorated English style, was built in 1861, at a cost of £2, 000. The sub-district does not contain all the parish, and includes a township of Stock port. Pop., 4, 941. Houses, 1, 006.

Cheadle through time

Cheadle is now part of Stockport district. Click here for graphs and data of how Stockport has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Cheadle itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Cheadle, in Stockport and Cheshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/819

Date accessed: 20th October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Cheadle ".