Place:


Hilton  Staffordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Hilton like this:

HILTON, a township in Wolverhampton parish, Stafford; 5½ miles NNE of Wolverhampton. Real property, £1, 256. Pop., 82. Houses, 9. A small Cistertian abbey was founded here, in 1223, by Henry de Audley; and given, at the dissolution, to the Astons of Tixal.

Hilton through time

Hilton is now part of South Staffordshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Staffordshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Hilton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Hilton in South Staffordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/8165

Date accessed: 23rd October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Hilton ".