Place:


Little Lever  Lancashire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Little Lever like this:

LEVER (LITTLE), a village and a chapelry in Bolton-le-Moors parish, Lancashire. The village stands 1 mile SSW of Bradley-Fold r. station, and 3 SSE by E of Bolton; and has a post office‡ under Bolton. The chapelry includes the junction of the Bolton and Bury and the Bolton and Manchester canals, and extends eastward to the river Irwell. ...


Acres, 1,020. Real property, £22,305; of which £12,500 are in mines. Pop. in 1851,3,511; in 1861,3,890. Houses, 756. The property is subdivided. There are extensive collieries, extensive chemical works, several cotton mills, paper mills, and bleaching works. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £.150. * Patron, the Vicar of Bolton. The old church was a plain brick structure, with a bell-turret. The new church was built in 1865, and is a stone edifice designed to have a tower, which was not completed in Oct. 1866. There are chapels for Independents and Wesleyans, and a national school. Thomas Lever, an eminent preacher in the time of Edward VI., and Oliver Heywood, the nonconformist, were natives.

Little Lever through time

Little Lever is now part of Bolton district. Click here for graphs and data of how Bolton has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Little Lever itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Little Lever, in Bolton and Lancashire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/816

Date accessed: 18th October 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Little Lever ".