Place:


Newton  Northamptonshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Newton like this:

NEWTON, a parish in Kettering district, Northampton; on the river Ise, 2½ miles E of Rushton r. station, and 3¾ N by E of Kettering. Post-town, Kettering. Acres, 1,050. Real property, £1, 534. Pop., 84. Houses, 20. The manor belonged formerly to Pipewell abbey, and belongs now to the Duke of Buccleuch. ...


The living is a donative in the diocese of Peterborough. Value, £40. Patron, the Duke of Buccleuch. The church was originally the private chapel of the Treshams, whose mansion stood adjacent to it; consists of nave, chancel, and S porch, with tower and spire; was restored in the nave, and enlarged by the addition of the chancel, in 1858; has five beautiful stained glass windows, by Clayton and Bell; and contains an alabaster monument of1433 to the Treshams.

Newton through time

Newton is now part of Kettering district. Click here for graphs and data of how Kettering has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Newton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Newton, in Kettering and Northamptonshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/8101

Date accessed: 19th September 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Newton ".