Place:


Newborough  Northamptonshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Newborough like this:

NEWBOROUGH, a parish in Peterborough district, Northampton; adjacent to the boundary with Lincoln and Cambridge, 2 miles E of Peakirk r. station, and 5 N N E of Peterborough. It was formed, in 1823, out ofan open fenny common; and it has a post-office under Market-Deeping. Acres, 4, 940. Real property, £12, 109. ...


Pop. in 1851, 698; in 1861, 806. Houses, 150. The property is subdivided. The manor belongs to the Hon. G. W. Fitzwilliam and the Marquis of Exeter. The land has been much improved by draining, and is nowprincipally arable.. A famous farm here, called Decoyfarm, got its name from a prolonged and extensive practice on it of capturing wild fowl. The living is a p.curacy in the diocese of Peterborough. Value, £300.* Patron, the Crown. The church was built in 1830; and is a plain white-brick structure, with a small tower. There is a Methodist chapel.

Newborough through time

Newborough is now part of Peterborough district. Click here for graphs and data of how Peterborough has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Newborough itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Newborough, in Peterborough and Northamptonshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/8095

Date accessed: 19th November 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Newborough ".