Place:


Lowick  Northamptonshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Lowick like this:

LOWICK, or LUFFWICK, a village and a parish in Thrapston district, Northampton. The village stands on an affluent of the river Nen, 2 miles NW by N of Thrapston r. station; and has a post office, of the name of Lowick, under Thrapston. The parish comprises 2,200 acres. Real property, £2,744. ...


Pop., 427. Houses, 86. The manor, with Drayton House, belongs to W. B. Stopford, Esq. Part of a Roman pavement was found in 1736. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Peterborough. Value, £308. * Patron, Mrs. Stopford. The church is later English; has a square tower and an octagonal lantern; and contains fine stained glass windows, brasses of Henry Green and an Earl of Wiltshire, and monuments to Sir Walter de Vere and Sir John Germain. There are an endowed school with £90 a year, and charities £35.

Lowick through time

Lowick is now part of East Northamptonshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how East Northamptonshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Lowick itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Lowick in East Northamptonshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/8063

Date accessed: 18th September 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Lowick ".