Place:


Essington  Staffordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Essington like this:

ESSINGTON, a township in Bushbury parish, Stafford; near the Wyrley canal and the Northwestern railway, 4½ miles NE by N of Wolverhampton. It has a post office under Wolverhampton. Acres, 3, 957. Real property, £4, 086. Pop. in 1851, 644; in 1861, 976. Houses, 187. The increase of population arose from the extension of mining operations. An iron church, to accommodate 260 persons, was erected here in 1858-9.

Essington through time

Essington is now part of South Staffordshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Staffordshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Essington itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Essington in South Staffordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/8055

Date accessed: 14th December 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Essington ".