Place:


Clifton Campville  Staffordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Clifton Campville like this:

CLIFTON-CAMPVILLE, a township in the district of Tamworth, Stafford; and a parish in the same district, and partly in Derby. The township lies on the river Meese, 3½ miles E of Haselour and Elford r. station, and 5½ NE of Tamworth; and has a post office under Tamworth. Pop., 513. ...


Houses, 110. The parish contains also the township of Harlaston and the hamlet of Haunton in Stafford, and the township of Chilcote in Derby. Acres, 6, 004. Real property, £6, 543. Pop., 881. Houses, 193. The manor was held, before the Conquest, by Earl Algar; went to the Crown; and passed to the Camvilles, the Vernons, the Staffords, the Stanleys, the Hereys, the Heveninghams, the Coventrys, the Pyes, the Severnes, the Wakinses, and again the Pyes. Clifton-Campville Hall is the seat of H. J. Pye, Esq. The living is a rectory, united with the p. curacy of Chilcote, in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £950.* Patron, H. J. Pye, Esq. The church has a very fine spire; and contains a screen and monuments of the Vernons and others.

Clifton Campville through time

Clifton Campville is now part of Lichfield district. Click here for graphs and data of how Lichfield has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Clifton Campville itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Clifton Campville, in Lichfield and Staffordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/8003

Date accessed: 16th December 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Clifton Campville ".