Place:


Crompton  Lancashire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Crompton like this:

CROMPTON, a township and a sub-district in Oldham district, Lancashire. The township is in Prestwich parish, and within Oldham borough; lies near the Oldham and the Rochdale railways, 3 miles N of Oldham; contains the villages of High-Crompton, Cowlishall, and Shaw, the last of which has a post office under Oldham; and is divided into the chapelries of East Crompton and Shaw. ...


Acres, 2, 864. Real property, £22, 972; of which £2, 779 are in mines, £1, 060 in quarries, and £350 in gas-works. Pop., 7, 032. Houses, 1, 460. Many of the inhabitants are employed in collieries and in large cotton mills. The sub-district is conterminate with the township.

Crompton through time

Crompton is now part of Oldham district. Click here for graphs and data of how Oldham has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Crompton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Crompton, in Oldham and Lancashire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/796

Date accessed: 21st January 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Crompton ".