Place:


Wickham Market  Suffolk

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Wickham Market like this:

WICKHAM-MARKET, a small town, a parish, and a sub-district, in Plomesgate district, Suffolk. The town stands on the river Deben, 1¼ mile W of Wickham-Market Junction r. station, and 5 NNE of Woodbridge; was once a place of considerable importance, with a shire hall, now taken down; had formerly a weekly market and two fairs, now disused; was the residence of J. ...


Kirby, who published the "Suffolk Traveller," and of T. Harsant, the distinguished mechanician; and has a central post-office,‡ a parochial church with tower and spire, an Independent chapel, a national school for 60 villagers, the Plomesgate workhouse, and charities £107, and extensive engineering and iron works. The parish comprises 1,174 acres. Real property, £4,624. Pop. in 1851, 1,697; in 1861, 1,571,-of whom 133 were in the workhouse. Houses, 326. The manor belongs to the Duke of Hamilton. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Norwich. Value, £208.* Patron, the Lord Chancellor.—The sub-district contains 7 parishes. Acres, 12,734. Pop., 4,322. Houses, 918.

Wickham Market through time

Wickham Market is now part of Suffolk Coastal district. Click here for graphs and data of how Suffolk Coastal has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Wickham Market itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Wickham Market in Suffolk Coastal | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/7937

Date accessed: 19th October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Wickham Market ".