Place:


Wickhambrook  Suffolk

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Wickhambrook like this:

WICKHAMBROOK, a village, a parish, and a sub-district, in Risbridge district, Suffolk. The village stands 6 miles N of Clare r. station; is a seat of petty sessions and a polling place; and has a post-office under Newmarket, and a good inn. The parish comprises 4,348 acres. Real property, £7,127. ...


Pop. in 1851, 1,597; in 1861, 1,452. Houses, 324. The property is much sub-divided. W. House, Badmondisfield Hall, Aldersfield Hall, and Gesyns are chief residences. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ely. Value, £350.* Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church is old but good. There are chapels for Independents and Primitive Methodists, a parochial school, an alms-house with £12 a year, and charities £38.—The sub-district contains 9 parishes. Acres, 18,698. Pop., 4,825. Houses, 1,065.

Wickhambrook through time

Wickhambrook is now part of St Edmundsbury district. Click here for graphs and data of how St Edmundsbury has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Wickhambrook itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Wickhambrook, in St Edmundsbury and Suffolk | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/7936

Date accessed: 18th November 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Wickhambrook ".