Place:


Betley  Staffordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Betley like this:

BETLEY, a village and a parish in Newcastle-underLyne district, Stafford. The village stands on the verge of the county, near the Northwestern railway, 3½ miles N of Madeley station, and 6½ NW by W of Newcastleunder-Lyne.-It has a post office‡ under Crewe, and fairs on 30 April, 31 July, and 29 Oct.; and was once a market-town. ...


It consists of one wide street; and is a pleasant, healthy place. The parish comprises 1,435 acres, Real property, £3,994. Pop., 850. Houses, 184. Betley Mere, a fine lake near the village, belongs to the Earl of Wilton; Betley Court, an elegant mansion, is the seat of Francis twemlow, Esq.; and Betley Hall, a fine old residence, is the seat of George Tollett, Esq. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £150.* Patron, G. Tollett, Esq. The church consists of nave, chancel, and tower,-the nave ancient, the chancel built in 1610, the tower in 1713; and contains neat mural monuments of the Egertons and the Tolletts. There are Wesleyan chapel, and charities £15.

Betley through time

Betley is now part of Newcastle under Lyme district. Click here for graphs and data of how Newcastle under Lyme has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Betley itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Betley, in Newcastle under Lyme and Staffordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/7883

Date accessed: 23rd October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Betley ".