Place:


Bentley  Staffordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Bentley like this:

BENTLEY, a township in Wolverhampton parish, Stafford; near the Northwestern railway, 2 miles W by N of Walsall. Acres, 1,650. Real property, £4,327: of which £1,270 are in mines, and £500 are in iron-works. Pop., 346. Houses, 68. The inhabitants are employed largely in collieries and iron-works. Bentley Hall belonged to Col. Lane, who sheltered Charles II. after the battle of Worcester; and was the seat of the late Hon. E. Anson.

Bentley through time

Bentley is now part of Walsall district. Click here for graphs and data of how Walsall has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Bentley itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Bentley, in Walsall and Staffordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/7881

Date accessed: 17th December 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Bentley ".