Place:


Alstonfield  Staffordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Alstonfield like this:

ALLSTONEFIELD, or Allstonfield, a village, a township, and a parish on the NE border of Staffordshire, contiguous to Derbyshire. The village stands on the river Dove, 8 miles NNW of Ashborne r. station; and has a post office under Ashborne. The township contains also the hamlet of Stanshope and a workhouse; and is in the district of Ashborne. ...


Acres, 2,700. Real property, £4,488. Pop., 651. Houses, 140. The parish contains also the townships of Heathylee, Quarnford, Hollinsclough, Longnor, Fairfieldhead, Warslow, and Elkstone, in the district of Leek. Acres, 21,860. Real property, £19,824. Pop., 4,117. Houses, 917. The property is divided among a few. Coal, lead ore, and copper are worked. Isaac Walton indulged his angling propensities here, with his friend Cotton of Beresford Hall. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £300.* Patron, Sir John Crewe, Bart. The church is a beautiful structure in early English style, with a pinnacled tower. The p. curacies of Quarnford, Longnor, Warslow, and Elkstone are separate benefices. Charities, £54.

Alstonfield through time

Alstonfield is now part of Staffordshire Moorlands district. Click here for graphs and data of how Staffordshire Moorlands has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Alstonfield itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Alstonfield in Staffordshire Moorlands | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/7857

Date accessed: 16th November 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Alstonfield ".