Place:


Wollaton  Nottinghamshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Wollaton like this:

WOLLATON, a parish, with a village, in Basford district, Notts; 1¾ mile W of Radford r. station, and 3 W of Nottingham. It has a post-office under Nottingham. Acres, 2,340. Real property, £5,352. Pop., 555. Houses, 116. W. Hall was built in 1588, by Sir F. Willoughby; is in the florid Tudor style; was attacked in 1831, by the Reform rioters; and is the seat of Lord Middleton. The living is a rectory, united with Cossall, in the diocese of Lincoln. Value, £721.* Patron, Lord Middleton. The church is old but good.

Wollaton through time

Wollaton is now part of Nottingham district. Click here for graphs and data of how Nottingham has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Wollaton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Wollaton, in Nottingham and Nottinghamshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/7821

Date accessed: 20th November 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Wollaton ".