Place:


Welbeck  Nottinghamshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Welbeck like this:

WELBECK, an extra-parochial tract in Worksop district, Notts; 3½ miles SW by S of Worksop. Acres, 2,410. Real property, £2,124. Pop. in 1851, 117; in 1861, 12. House, 1. A Premonstratensian abbey was founded here, in the time of Henry II., by T. de Cuckeney; was made the head of its order in 1512; was given, at the dissolution, to the Whalleys; and passed to the Cavendishes and to the Bentincks. ...


W. Abbey, the seat of the Duke of Portland, now occupies the old abbey's site; was begun to be erected in 1604; underwent considerable alterations in 1864; is a magnificent edifice, with turrets and other ornamental features; was the deathplace, in 1848, of Lord G. Bentinck; has a riding-house and stables, 130 feet long, built in 1623-5 by the Duke of Newcastle; and stands in a splendid park 8 miles in circuit.

Welbeck through time

Welbeck is now part of Bassetlaw district. Click here for graphs and data of how Bassetlaw has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Welbeck itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Welbeck, in Bassetlaw and Nottinghamshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/7807

Date accessed: 24th August 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Welbeck ".