Place:


Ripon  West Riding

 

In 1887, John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles described Ripon like this:

Ripon, city, mun. bor., par., and township, West-Riding Yorkshire, on river Ure, 29½ miles N. of Leeds by rail - par. (extending into the North-Riding), 58,235 ac., pop. 16,653; township, 1561 ac., pop. 6641; bor., 1580 ac., pop. 7390; P.O., T.O., 4 Banks, 2 newspapers. Market-day, Thursday. ...


Ripon is supposed to be of British or Roman origin. In 678 its monastery (built 661) became the seat of a bishopric, subsequently united with York. The new diocese of Ripon, created in 1836, comprises most of the West-Riding and part of the North-Riding. The cathedral, a remarkably fine edifice, was originally the church of the monastery. There is a handsome bridge over the Ure, which is here navigable. The spacious market-place is ornamented by an obelisk 90 feet high. Ripon was formerly celebrated for its spurs, but its principal manufactures now are saddle-trees, iron, machinery, leather, and varnish. It gives the title of marquis to the family of Robinson. It returned 2 members to Parliament from the time of Edward VI. until 1867, and 1 member from 1867 until 1885.

Ripon through time

Ripon is now part of Harrogate district. Click here for graphs and data of how Harrogate has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Ripon itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Ripon, in Harrogate and West Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/78

Date accessed: 23rd February 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Ripon ".