Place:


Thurgarton  Nottinghamshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Thurgarton like this:

THURGARTON, a village, a parish, and a hundred, in Notts. The village stands near the Nottingham and Lincoln railway, 3 miles S of Southwell; and has a station on the railway, and a post-office under Southwell. The parish comprises 2,770 acres, and is in Southwell district. Real property, £4,915. ...


Pop., 361. Houses, 75. The manor, with T. Priory, belongs to R. Milward, Esq. An Augustinian priory was founded here in 1130, by R. D'Ayncourt; and was given, at the dissolution, to The Coopers. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Lincoln. Value, £400. Patron, Trinity College, Cambridge. The church was recently restored. There are an endowed school with £10 a year, and charities £5.- The hundred contains 28 parishes, and 3 parts. Acres, 63,610. Pop. in 1861, 29,631. Houses, 6,357.

Thurgarton through time

Thurgarton is now part of Newark and Sherwood district. Click here for graphs and data of how Newark and Sherwood has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Thurgarton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Thurgarton, in Newark and Sherwood and Nottinghamshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/7792

Date accessed: 25th November 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Thurgarton ".