In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Broughton like this:
BROUGHTON, a village and a parish in Glanford-Brigg district, Lincoln. The village stands on Ermine-street, probably on the site of a Roman station, near the river Ancholme, and the Grimsby railway, 3 miles NW of Glanford-Brigg; and has a post office under Brigg. The parish includes also the township of Castlethorpe, and the hamlets of Manby and Gokewell. Acres, 6,918. Real property, £10,320. Pop., 1,280. Houses, 285. The property is much subdivided. A nunnery was founded here, in 1185, by William de Alta Ripa. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Lincoln. Value, £824.* Patron, Joseph Dent, Esq. A new church was built in 1868; and there are two Methodist chapels and a national school.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Broughton has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of North Lincolnshire. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Broughton and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Broughton in North Lincolnshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 24th April 2014
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Broughton".