Place:


Thorney  Nottinghamshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Thorney like this:

THORNEY, a parish, with three townships, in Newark district, Notts; 2½ miles SW of Saxilby r. station, and 8 E of Tuxford. Post town, Newark. Acres, 4,140. Real property, £5,341. Pop., 395. Houses, 76. T. manor belongs to the Neviles; Broadholme manor, to T. Redgate, Esq.; Wigsley manor, to Sir G. Welby, Bart. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lincoln. Value, £180.* Patron,Nevile, Esq. The church was rebuilt in 1850.

Thorney through time

Thorney is now part of Newark and Sherwood district. Click here for graphs and data of how Newark and Sherwood has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Thorney itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Thorney, in Newark and Sherwood and Nottinghamshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/7786

Date accessed: 14th October 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Thorney ".