Place:


Sutton  Suffolk

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Sutton like this:

SUTTON, a parish, with a village, in Woodbridge district, Suffolk; on the river Deben, 3 miles SE of Woodbridge r. station. It has a post-office under Wood-bridge. Acres, 6,410; of which 430 are water. Real property, £4,570. Pop. in 1851, 732; in 1861, 618. Houses, 127. The manor, with S. ...


Hall, belongs to T. Waller, Esq. Wood Hall is the seat of R. V. Edwards, Esq. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Norwich. Value, £431.* Patrons, the Trustees of the late J. Nixon, Esq. The church was restored in 1860. There are a Baptist chapel, a national school, and charities £5.

Sutton through time

Sutton is now part of Suffolk Coastal district. Click here for graphs and data of how Suffolk Coastal has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Sutton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Sutton in Suffolk Coastal | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/7767

Date accessed: 15th November 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Sutton ".