Place:


Shelford  Nottinghamshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Shelford like this:

SHELFORD, a village, a township, and a parish, in Bingham district, Notts. The village stands near the river Trent, 2 miles NNE of Ratcliffe r. station, and 3½ WNW of Bingham; and has a postal pillar-box under Nottingham. The township contains also part of Newton hamlet. Pop., 597. Houses, 133. ...


The parish contains a1so the township of Saxondale, and comprises 3,560 acres. Real property, £7,342. Pop., 692. Houses, 155. The manor belongs to the Earl of Chesterfield. An Augustinian priory was founded here, in the time of Henry II., by Ralph de Hanselyn; and went, at the dissolution, to the Stanhopes. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lincoln. Value, £60. Patron, the Earl of Chesterfield. The church is good; and there are a Primitive Methodist chapel, and three alms houses.

Shelford through time

Shelford is now part of Rushcliffe district. Click here for graphs and data of how Rushcliffe has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Shelford itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Shelford, in Rushcliffe and Nottinghamshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/7754

Date accessed: 21st September 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Shelford ".