Place:


Ramsbottom  Lancashire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Ramsbottom like this:

RAMSBOTTOM, a small town and a chapelry in Bury parish, Lancashire. The town stands on the river Irwell and on the East Lancashire railway, 4 miles N of Bury; was the place where the first Sir Robert Peelestablished calico-printing; carries on cotton spinning, calico-printing, machine-making, rope-making, and iron and brass founding; is governed by a local board, under the act of 1858; and has a post-office‡ under Manchester, a railway-station with telegraph, a commodious inn, a police station, a church, four dissenting chapels, a Roman Catholic chapel, a public school, an athenæum, a public library, and an Odd Fellows' hall. ...


The church was built in 1850, at a cost of £3, 400; was enlarged shortly before 1868; is in the early English style; and has amemorial window to the late Lord Palmerston, and a tower and spire. The Presbyterian chapel was built in 1834; is a handsome edifice, in the pointed style; and has a lofty pinnacled tower. The chapelry was constituted in 1844. Pop. in 1861, 4, 134. Houses, 798. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £170. Patron, alternately the Crown and the Bishop.

Ramsbottom through time

Ramsbottom is now part of Bury district. Click here for graphs and data of how Bury has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Ramsbottom itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Ramsbottom, in Bury and Lancashire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/774

Date accessed: 22nd October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Ramsbottom ".